Why Your Gift Matters
Thank you for considering supporting the West Virginia Center for End-of-Life Care. Our Center's primary purpose is to serve West Virginians (and beyond) with their advance care planning needs for free. YOU can help the Center continue serving West Virginians, health care providers and families alike.
Support goes both ways. In addition to the free support, resources, and education already provided, the WV Center for End-of-Life Care gives back through offering professional practice hours and volunteer opportunities to WVU students in health care related fields, collaboration with educational organizations to educate future leaders in health care fields, publication of research articles on advance care planning and common errors in health care related to advance care planning, and coordination with other educational and outreach events.
How You Can Support the Center
You can be the difference. Because the Center provides resources for free, financial gifts can have a significant improvement on the Center. The Center is a nonprofit organization and relies heavily on the generosity of people like you. Previously, the Center was funded by the WV state legislature until it was removed from funding during budget cuts. We are very thankful and lucky to be funded by West Virginia University (WVU) for one-third of our original budget.
We have many updates we want to do to better support you including:
- a patient portal for the WV e-Directive Registry,
- electronic form completion (including online notarization) and immediate submission to the Registry
- personnel and operational costs not otherwise covered by our budget
- When the Center was previously funded by the WV state legislature at 3x our current budget allotment, we could financially support 6 employees. Currently, we can only financially support 1.5 employees -- we don't have enough funds to support one of our two employees past February 28, 2020. If we cannot raise enough money to support this position, it will leave only one employee to run the Center and Registry for the entire state solo. This will severely impact the Center in a negative way.
Your donation will help us make those dreams reality. Even small donations can have big impacts on the Center, allowing us to continue supporting the state for free.
Visit our official giving page at http://give.wvu.edu/wvendoflife
Have you been positively impacted by the Center? Have you experienced a tough situation in which advance care planning could have helped the situation? Share your story. Tell your loved ones. You can help prepare your loved ones and provide them with resources (our Contact information) to protect their medical wishes.
Did you know health care providers can learn from you? Tell your health care providers about the Center and the WV e-Directive Registry. This will encourage your health care providers to reach out to the Center for resources and help when they need it, including educational and training events. By you collaborating with your health care providers, you will actually help many other individuals throughout the health care industry including patients and loved ones.
You can be the difference in health care education and practice. If you want information or resources to provide to your health care providers, contact the Center.
You can help your community. Do you have an idea for an educational or outreach event in your area? Contact the Center with your ideas and need. We will work with you to schedule opportunities to help with advance care planning in your area. You can improve your community's comfort in health care decision making.
The Center can help with:
- Educational presentations
- Advance directive form completion
- Frequently asked questions
- And much more!