West Virginians want their wishes respected and their pain controlled near the end of life. The Center for End-of-Life Care provides information to patients and families so that they can make informed choices and receive the treatment they want.
- E-Directive Registry Opt-In Form
- Frequently Asked Questions and Forms
- WV Living Will
- WV Medical Power of Attorney
- WV Combined Living Will/Medical Power of Attorney
- WV Mental Health Advance Directive (MHAD)
- Advance Directive Revocation Form
- Surrogate Selection form available under "Additional Resources for Providers" on this page
Note: Please contact your health care provider to complete medical orders (POST and DNR) during your next appointment. If your health care provider does not have medical orders available for completion, please contact the Center for End-of-Life Care at 877-209-8086, and we will be happy to mail these forms to your provider on your behalf with a note attached with your contact information to schedule your appointment.
- Palliative Care brochure
- Palliative Care Resource List
- Hospice Services in the Nursing Home Facility brochure
- The WV Health Care Decisions Act
- The WV Do Not Resuscitate Act
Additional Resources for Patients
- How to Talk to Your Doctor (English)
- For the Conversation Guide in other languages, please visit https://theconversationproject.org/starter-kits/
- Advance Care Planning Resource List
- What is a Medical Power of Attorney Representative or Health Care Surrogate?
- Release of Information Request to Obtain Copies of Your (or Your Representee's) Forms
Additional Resources for Providers
- WV Checklist for Surrogate Selection
- Assessing Decision Making Capacity
- Mature Minors and Emancipated Minors Authority to Make Medical Decisions
- Health Care Decision Making for Adult Patients Flow Chart
- Using the Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment (POST) Form: Guidance for Health Care Professionals
- Why and How to have End-of-Life Discussions with Your Patients
- The Ask-Tell-Ask Approach to Starting Conversations with Seriously Ill Patients
- Annotated Bibliography of Evidence-Based Research on the Use of Feeding Tubes (updated August 2016)
- Nursing Home Model Policy for the WV Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment (POST) form
- Palliative Care Team Report 2016
For the additional information on advance care planning, visit the National Health Care Decisions Day website, the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization CaringInfo website, or the Prepare For your Care website.
For the most current information on palliative care and palliative care services, visit the Get Palliative Care website.
For the most current information on grief and loss visit the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization website at CaringInfo, the Pathways Center for Grief and Loss website, or call or visit the National 2-1-1 hotline for local resources.
Still have questions?
If you have more questions on advance directive form completion, click on the FAQs link or call us at 877-209-8086.